Thursday, July 9, 2009

Diana's Pillowcase



My aunt Diana was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in October of 2008. Shortly after that, I heard that she was having trouble sleeping at night and I could imagine the kinds of fears that might fill her mind upon waking in the middle of the night. The more I thought of it, the stronger the idea of creating a pillowcase that might bring her comfort became. I wanted to create something special for her, something that might bring her comfort at night, something akin to a child's blankie but in adult form.

I researched some verses that I thought would encourage comfort and rest:
  • Isaiah 43:5 - Do not be afraid, for I am with you.
  • Psalm 4:8 - I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.
  • Matthew 11:28 - "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
  • Romans 15:13 - May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Most importantly, the main verse reminding that "in all things God works for the good of those who love Him". Romans 8:28.

Why is it that some good people have to suffer when others don't? Why is it that some bad people don't ever seem to suffer? My parents always said that life isn't fair. I hated hearing that. I thought life should be fair. But it isn't.

I don't know whether the pillowcase brought comfort to my aunt. I certainly hope so. And I hope that others might find it inspiring and comforting and use it to help and encourage the people who they love who might be struggling as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin